Pour on Good Heart Health with Pomegranate Juice
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
If you’re wondering if there is a tasty, tart way to keep your ticker in tip-top shape (and your taste buds happy, too!), start making pomegranate juice your daily go-to beverage and pour on the bevy of body benefits.
Pomegranate juice reigns supreme in powerhouse antioxidants and polyphenol chemical compounds with three times more body-benefitting antioxidants than green tea and red wine. (Source https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/expert-answers/pomegranate-juice/faq-20058560) What exactly are antioxidants? Antioxidants are compounds that inhibit oxidation – chain reactions that produce cell-damaging free radicals and provide heart, skin, and organ protection. Antioxidants are found in popular, everyday foods, such as dark chocolate, nuts, berries, artichokes, kale, spinach, beets, and beans, just to name a few. Antioxidants have also been shown to reduce low-density lipoprotein (LDL – “bad cholesterol”). Source Here
The Sweet Body Benefits of Delicious-tasting Pomegranate Juice
Pomegranate juice contains more than 100 phytochemicals (chemical compounds produced by plants that are believed to protect cells against damage that could lead to cancer) and gets their rich, ruby hue from an abundance of polyphenols (powerhouse antioxidants that help regulate blood pressure levels and keep blood vessels flexible, promoting optimal circulation). As little as 2 ounces of pomegranate juice daily provides more than 40% of the daily vitamin C requirement. Here are more surprising body benefits of this hardworking beverage:
- May prevent cancer
- Has anti-inflammatory properties and may help prevent arthritis and osteoporosis
- Promotes memory retention
- Boosts athletic performance
- Supports sexual function
- Reduces gut inflammation and is especially beneficial for those who suffer from Crohn’s Disease
- Small studies show daily pomegranate juice consumption boosts healthy blood flow and keeps arteries from becoming sticky and thick, as well as slowing the growth of plaque and reducing cholesterol buildup
- A daily glass of pomegranate juice can lower systolic blood pressure
- Possesses anti-viral properties to help fight infections
- Rich in vitamins C, E, K, and folate, as well as potassium
- Aids in diabetes prevention by decreasing insulin resistance and lowering blood sugar levels
Sip on These Proven Studies Showing the Positive Effects of Pomegranate Juice
In case you needed any more convincing of adding the rich, dark, ticker-friendly juice to your daily diet, check out these studies:
- A 2013 study consisting of 45 patients with a history of coronary heart disease were assigned to an experimental group and a control (placebo) group. The experimental group was given 240mL of fresh, pure pomegranate juice daily over the course of 90 days. The study concluded a significant reduction of stress-induced ischemia (inadequate blood supply to heart muscle) in the experimental group compared to the placebo.
- In another landmark study, 73 participants with at least one cardiovascular risk showed consumption of 240mL of pomegranate juice daily over the course of an entire year notably increased arterial elasticity compared to the non-pomegranate juice-sipping group. The result was a substantial reduction in blood pressure.
As you can see, sipping on just a few ounces of antioxidant powerhouse pomegranate juice daily can help prevent certain cancers, guard against free radical damage, reduce blood sugar/prevent type 2 diabetes, lower blood pressure, fight against bacterial and viral infections, and considerably reduce LDL (bad cholesterol) levels. Luckily, the health food industry is flooded with hundreds of amazing brands to tickle your taste buds and keep your ticker pumping. Sip smartly.
If you feel you may benefit from lipedema revision surgery and would like to book a consultation with Dr. Jamie to evaluate your current physical situation, as well as your medical and lipedema surgical history, be sure to contact our office to speak with any one of our compassionate, highly-knowledgeable staff members. We look forward to hearing from you and we’re always here to help.